Thursday, February 17, 2005

More ideas on Park convergence

It's really great to get thoughtful, constructive suggestions from students about how we might provide an even better learning experience for you all in Park. If you've been reading the blog, you know that it has included some commentary about how eliminating the divisions or separation between departments and programs could allow students to expand their knowledge/experience base. Here's an addition to that discussion from Christian Roadman; he suggests some cross-departmental workshops as a starting point for more integrated curricula in the future....

What do you think?

The one thing that's bothered me about the divisions between the ParkSchool is this: while the different industries that they address clearly have very individual traits, and are pretty specialized, there could be (I'd imagine) quite a lot of overlap. And I'm wondering if it would be possible, or worth it, to address some of these "overlaps" in classes in the future.

Case in point (this is where I'm coming from, but I'm sure (I think) there are others....): There are clearly major differences between the film industry and the tv industry, but i think it's kinda reasonable that there might be some potential dabbling in both.

Another thing is photojournalism - it would seem that if I wanted to become a news photographer, curiosity and/or opportunity might eventually lead me over to potential work as a TV news camera person out in the field. But the thing is, I feel like these potential overlaps aren't really accomodated for in the Park school (which I love, don't get me wrong) because of certain problems like this, f or instance: the technology is a little different.

For instance, as a C&P major, I'll learn all I'll need to know about film cameras or still cameras, but practically nothing about TV cameras. And while I'll learn some editing with Final Cut Pro, I'll be totally in the dark with basic TV editing. So it seems like whatever bridges are built by the creative and skill demands of the different industries are burned down by the fact that it's difficult to aquire amore than basic all-around knowledge in another area. Sure, I could take a media production course, but that's specifically designed forthe TVR department, and would have a lot of unrelated stuff, I'd assume.

So basically what I'm saying is this: it would be really awesome if wegot some cross-departmental training in specific areas which seemed to relate/make sense, basically for the purpose so that, for instance, I could apply for a TV photojournalism career after a stint as aNewspaper photographer, if the opportunity came along. Or someone in movies could make a link to film. Or someone in the journalism dept. could have proficiency with an editing machine if they work in broadcast journalism, and their cameraman needs some help in the field...

If we could have, for instance, a string of "TV editing and camera tech" courses for C&P and Journalism majors, or anyone else, that would be awesome. And I'd assume there are plenty of other departments where different overlaps can't really be adressed because of time or class constraints. I was just thinking, if you were looking for ways to change class structure or anything in the future, that might be a thought. For now, maybe we could just have some workshops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home