Saturday, April 28, 2007

Life After College: You WILL get a job....You WILL get a job...You WILL get a job....and it'll be a perfect fit, too...

This just in from Pete Davis, who says you WILL get a job after college -- if you take advantage of your opportunities and your networks -- and it may turn out to be the job of your dreams in ways you didn't expect:

So, after reading a few post-grad updates from some of my friends and fellow alums, I figured I'd write you and let you know about my experiences in the crazy world of the entertainment industry. I suppose it all started back in my sophomore year, when I applied for the ICLA program, and did not get the semester I wanted. Initially, I was bummed...but after a couple of days, I came up with the brilliant plan of doing the LA Program my last semester of college. After all, I knew from day one at Ithaca that I would end up in Los Angeles after graduation, so I figured it would only help to get a head start.

I sort of stumbled across my internship at Bunim/Murray Productions by accident one day while working in the CHS computer lab and browsing the ICLA internship database; I've always been a huge reality-TV buff (I can't believe I just admitted that...), and BMP practically
invented the genre with "The Real World", so I applied, and found out three weeks later that I got the job!

The program is structured to give interns an in-depth overview of every department in the company before they decide which department they want to spend the second half of the program in. As I was a TV-R/Video major, I was of course interested in working in
post-production, but having spent almost every spare moment of my time working for VIC and ICB, I was tempted to intern with the music department as well, and I decided in the end that it would be a good idea to split my time. Turns out, that was a good decision on my part, as there was an opening with the music department towards the end of my internship, and they figured I'd be a good fit for the job.


My job with the music department consists of helping our music supervisors with whatever they need to do their jobs more efficiently and effectively. This includes licensing new music; acting as a liaison to artists, publishers, managers, and labels; sitting in on audio mixes, burning CDs, helping them find music, and doing cue sheets for ASCAP and BMI. I also do a lot of outreach to up and coming acts (including two that you've mentioned on the Park blog).

Naturally, all the outreach that I'm doing has given me a very busy social life; I generally go to three or four shows a week, and have hundreds of contacts to keep up with (in addition to all of my friends from Ithaca who now live and work out here)! Echoing Colleen and Amanda's sentiments, networking is by far the most important part of working in the industry; I knew almost NOTHING about working in the music business before I started working in it, but I have learned quite a bit thanks to the friends I've made through my work. Now, I
couldn't see myself working in any other field!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home