Saturday, September 06, 2008

So...you really CAN'T get there from here....


I was doing my best to make it home from San Francisco ahead of the chaos that inevitably grips the Philly airport whenever it rains -- anywhere on the Eastern seaboard.

I got up at 4 a.m., hauled my luggage to the SF airport, and climbed onto a plane slated to deliver me to Philly at 2:05 p.m. Just in time to hike across the airport, board the bus (ever been to this airport? You know you're headed to Ithaca because you have to take the bus to the 'other' terminal....), and make it to my connection to Ithaca -- which was supposed to have me home right about N-O-W.

Not happenin'.

Instead, the flight was cancelled and they put me on a flight that departs (hypothetically speaking) at 9:05 p.m.

Problem is, the weather is bad right now. Hurricane Hanna (not to mention Ike) is headed this way. What do you suppose the chances are that they'll send one of those little prop jets out into the storm at 9:05 p.m. when they wouldn't do it at 3 p.m.?

Just fyi, it cost $675 to take a limo from Philly to Ithaca.

None of the six car rental places I called would let me rent a car one-way. One very friendly and not helpful person suggested I rent the car for the week, and "find the time to drive it back here when you have the time."

Like, ummmm, 2065?

So here I am, in the Philly airport, catching up on my email.

Which (finally!) is the point of all of this. I couldn't make it to ICTV's rush night this year -- a huge disappointment since it's one of my favorite annual events -- so I missed the videos. And Rachel Hastings knows how much I love 'em, so she sent me the link to hers: Ivy.

Check it out!


And see you on Monday, even if I have to hire that darned limo to get me there.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home