Thursday, March 15, 2007

I'm ba-a-a-a-a-ck (and staying)

Hey everybody,

At least some of you may have heard that I was nominated and invited to apply for the dean's job at Berkeley.

Given that I think it's the best journalism grad program in the world, if not the universe, I decided I would at least go out there and talk to them about the program and the job.

So last week, that's what I did.

And you know, I was right: It really is the best journalism grad program in the world, if not the universe.

Everybody was great, the program is extraordinary (I strongly recommend it if you're thinking about journalism grad school), and Berkeley is....well, it's Berkeley.

And they liked me, too.

But I came home to the Park School, thought about it for a few days, and came to the conclusion that I don't belong at Berkeley.

I belong right here, in the Park School.

Because you know what?

Park really is the best undergrad communications school in the world, if not the universe.

And -- as Dorothy would say -- there's no place like home.

P.S. Thank you very much to the student who wrote an email to the chair of the Berkeley search committee, begging them not to hire me. It was, I trust, meant in the nicest possible way.

Cheers,
Dianne

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

As one of your biggest fans, I was thrilled to see this post! You're truly loved at Ithaca, Dianne. Welcome back home :-)

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so great to hear that your staying Dianne! And your welcome for the email, it was in fact meant in the best way.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Aaron Munzer said...

good call.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son is a freshman parkie this year and we were hoping you'd stay. You bring such a vibrancy and creativity to that school. Thanks for the great news!

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home