Sunday, April 29, 2007

Parkie gets internship at New Line Cinema in NYC...just because he asked!

Greetings,

I'm always talking about how great our alumni are, and how much they want to help you out -- which is truly one of the unique benefits of being a Park student.

But they can't help you if you don't ask...so I'm also constantly reminding students to take the time to get in touch with the very people who can do you the most good: Your fellow (and successful) Parkies.

Eddie Pietzak did exactly that a few weeks ago...and he's got a fabulous internship in NYC this summer as a result. He emailed me to tell me about it, and I asked himif I could share it with you all -- a gentle reminder that the person who asks is theperson who gets....

Here 'tis:

Dear Dean Lynch,
These past three months have been a struggle for me trying to crack into the industry and obtain an internship for the summer. I can’t tell you how many times I would not get returned calls, unanswered e-mails, and playing telephone tag with secretaries. When I contacted NBC-Universal I was first put through to Universal Studios Theme Park Human Resources, transferred to the LA studios branch, transferred to their New York division, and talked to three separate people at NBC, before leaving an eventual voicemail that was not returned. I was going at this for a while now with nothing to show for it – but my luck
changed with the help of an IC Alum.

I attended David Spiegelman’s talk this past Saturday, and really enjoyed his presentation. Afterwards, I approached him, introduced myself, and we engaged in small chitchat about his talk. I eventually asked him what the job market in New York was like with New Line Cinema, to which he told me that there was one, and it was pretty extensive. I then continued to ask him for his e-mail, and business card, and if it was okay to contact him about a possible internship this summer. I figured what the hell, and to give it a shot. Luckily for me, David was really enthusiastic, and when I contacted him through e-mail, it took him about two days to help secure, and lock down an internship at New Line Cinema in New York for me this summer! He was
extremely helpful, very responsive, and showed me that you really did need to know somebody in the business. I apparently grabbed the last
spot there this summer, all thanks to him!

Needless to say, I’m really looking forward to working at New Line Cinema this summer, and I just wanted to tell you how extremely helpful David was in my search for an internship. Not only was his talk on Saturday very interesting (we got free DVDs!), but also I am looking forward to him coming back in the fall and teaching a mini-course....Needless to say, I’m very grateful for David’s help, and I just wanted to give you a heads up about his work, and a thank you for bringing him to Park this spring. I hope you have a great day, and things are going well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home