Thursday, September 06, 2007

Wanna do some (more) great radio? How 'bout long-form radio news?

This just in....want to do some great radio news (it'll be great because YOU will do it....)

Hey everyone -

I'm guessing I don't know many of you, but I'm Chris Baxter (senior, journalism/poli. major, etc.) and I'm planning to be the director of the new and improved "ICB Reports" on 92 WICB this semester. I put that in quotes because, first things first, I'm pondering new names. If you have any suggestions, send them along.

"ICB Reports" is a half hour, NPR-style radio news show about issues important and pressing in the Ithaca community. The show will look something like this: half hour, every week, probably Sunday evenings. The show will start with an introduction to the local content, move into a very brief roundup of national/international news, and then move into the lede story. We'll need four local stories for each show. Some of these should come in package form with some Q&A in-studio afterwards, maybe with the reporter or a source in the story. Others can be well-planned segments that don't lend themselves to good packages, but are still important issues. This may consist of a reporter, a source and the host navigating the issue in-studio.

I've been a writer at The Ithacan for my first three years of college, and after a few internships, I know how important it is to get some experience in other media. I'm pretty new at this radio thing, so don't be worried if you are too. We'll work it out.

We'll talk about all of this, who wants to do what, host tryouts and story assignments at our first meeting. Come to the radio room on the bottom floor of Park at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 10. We're aiming to get our first show on the air Sunday, Sept. 23.

If you can't make it, e-mail me with what you're interested in and I'll get the ball rolling. Otherwise, come to the meeting and bring along some friends. Also, feel free to write me with any questions or concerns.

See you soon,
Chris Baxter
cbaxter1@ithaca.edu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home