Friday, March 06, 2009

Izzy Awards in Salon.com!


An excerpt from Glenn Greenwald's column in Salon.com today, announcing his status as one of the first two recipients of the Park Center for Independent Media's Izzy Award:

Speaking of Izzy Stone, I learned this week that -- along with Democracy Now's Amy Goodman -- I've been named as the receipient of the first annual "Izzy Award for special achievement in independent media" by The Park Center for Independent Media at Ithaca College. Details are here. Once I know them, I'll post the details of the March 31 award ceremony, which is free and open to the public.

Even though he died in 1989, Izzy Stone basically invented blogging -- the tone, content, function and format -- and was a practitioner of journalism in its purest and noblest form. A few months ago, a commenter here linked to the online archive that contains every one of Stone's newsletters for the 18 years that he produced it (from 1953-1971), and I spent many hours reading through all of them. That's basically the dictionary definition of "adversarial journalism." I also consider Goodman to be a living, breathing embodiment of what independent journalism should be, so the combination of those two makes this award one that I greatly value.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home